"Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopian

Divergert is the story of a girl named Beatrice "Tris" Prior. In the same vein as The Hunger Games, Divergent is set in a futuristic dystopian society. Rather than being divided into districts, the people are divided into factions. They are not divided based on location, but instead based on what they value the most: Abnegation, selflessness; Candor, honesty; Amity, kindness; Erudite, intelligence; and Dauntless, bravery. At the age of 16, each person undertakes an "aptitude" test that shows them what faction they are most suited to. They do not have to chose that faction, but it gives them some guidance. This is a difficult decision because they believe in faction over blood. If you leave the faction you were raised in, your family will never be the same.


Although Beatrice respects and values the selflessness of her family and neighbours, she never felt like she fit in. She wasn't like everyone else. She knows she might fit in better with one of the other factions, but she does not want to leave her family behind. Not only so, but her aptitude tests are inconclusive. She is something they call "Divergent." Immediately her test instructor gravely commands her to tell no one of this: being Divergent is dangerous. Why? What makes her different? What should she choose? How will this choice affect her? Can she keep her divergence a secret?


If you liked The Hunger Games, you will probably like this book, too. Personally, I read Divergent in a day after my friend recommended it to me. I found myself completely caught up in Tris's world. I found it was a good balance between new and original, and familiar. These days it seems like everyone is into this sci fi/fantasy mashup genre. Roth brings her own ideas into the mix in her utopian society gone wrong. I found it interesting and compelling, but at the same time, might not exactly be literature. However, I eagerly recommend this book to everyone! I loved it! I can't wait to sink my teeth into the sequel, Insurgent.



My Rating: A+

Labels: , , ,