"Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1)Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
YA, Paranormal

Miss Peregrine is a interesting tale of a boy's journey into his grandfather's past. His grandfather had always told him tall tales growing up. But what if there were more to it than that? Could the stories be true? After a horrific tragedy, Jacob finds himself on a secluded island in Wales looking for the children's home his grandfather grew up in. When he finds it, it is a mysterious run down building with a box full of old photographs. Where did the children go? Miss Peregrine? Could they still be alive?


One of the most interesting things about the story is that it is illustrated with vintage photographs. It was really neat to be able to see what the characters were seeing. I really liked this book for the most part. The story was interesting and weird--I couldn't put it down. However, the impression you get from reading the book jacket and what the book is actually about are pretty different. The synopsis leads you to believe that it is more of a mystery, when in fact it's more fantasy. Mysterious, yes, but, it's definitely fantasy. When I picked it up I was also unaware that it was the first in a series. If I knew that, I'm not sure I would have read it. I'm not really in the mood for a series, especially when the other books aren't out yet. Furthermore, I think that this story would be better as a stand alone work. When you get to the end you are looking for some sort of conclusion and satisfaction, and I did not find that with this book.


My Rating: B+

Labels: , , ,