"SOMEDAY, SOMEDAY, MAYBE" by Lauren Graham

Someday, Someday, Maybe
Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
Fiction, Chick Lit (ish)

Someday, Someday, Maybe is the hilarious and charming tale of aspiring actress Franny Banks. It's 1995 and Franny lives in Brooklyn with her two best friends, Jane and Dan. She works as a waitress at a comedy club to pay the bills, and tries not to be too disheartened by the lack of auditions lining her filofax. Franny doesn't want to become one of those people who can't seem to admit to themselves that they simply aren't meant to be an actor. Therefore, she has set a three-year deadline for herself: if after three years in New York she has not become a successful actress, she is going to pack it in. Her deadline is nearing, and things aren't going too well. Should she extend her deadline? Give in? WHAT? She stays hopeful, attending an acting class. Perhaps this will get her noticed by some bigwigs. The fact that there is a handsome and successful actor among her fellow students doesn't hurt either.


To be frank, the fact that this book was written by Lauren Graham sort of hurt its chances with me. I love her SO MUCH that it was impossible for me not to subconsciously have extremely high expectations for it. I tried my best to keep an open and clear mind... But it proved to be too great a task. However, I did really enjoy this book. Graham is a really good writer. Not only so, but she brought some amusing creativity with the many filofax entries. I really loved her style, and often found myself laughing out loud. That being said, at times I had difficulty connecting with the main character. I just had very little in common with her. There weren't many times that I found I could relate with Franny. However, on the whole, I did enjoy the novel and would recommend it to all Chick Lit fans!


My Rating: A


Labels: , , ,