"The Lady of the Rivers" by Philippa Gregory

The Lady of the Rivers (The Cousins' War, #3)
The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction, Royal Fiction

This book is about a woman named Jacquetta. It chronicles her life from that of a young girl, to an aging mother. She began her life in English France as an heiress of the house of Luxembourg. It is believed that her family descends from the water goddess Melusina, and this family history of magic plays a part in the story. She becomes a very important woman in England and a player in the Wars of the Roses.

This is the first book that I have read by Philippa Gregory. I had heard good things about her, but have never really felt the desire to read her books after seeing the movie The Other Boleyn Girl. I didn't really like it that much. However, a couple of weeks ago I found this book on sale at chapters so I thought, what the heck? and bought it. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. This proved problematic as I am a student in the last month of her honours bachelor degree. I'm not sure what it is exactly about this book that drew me in so deeply. Gregory's writing style is not particularly special or particularly refined. However, maybe the simplistic narration is the key. Maybe it allowed for all of the focus to be on the story that Gregory brilliantly unfolds before you. I'm not sure exactly what it is that does it, but I just got swept up in the story, eager to know more, to learn more. It was great. Two thumbs up.


My Rating: A-



Labels: , , ,