"The Giver" by Lois Lowry

The Giver  (The Giver Quartet, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
YA, Dystopian

Jonas lives in a world where there is order and purpose to everything. In his community, everyone and everything has a place and a function. Everything is structured for maximum efficiency. There is no war, no fear, no pain, no loss. There are no choices or real emotions. Not only so, but due to each person's skills and aptitude, they are assigned a job in the community. There are those who teach, who look after babies until they are given to a family, those who give birth to children, those who govern, labourers, technicians, caregivers, etc. On the day the children are assigned their jobs, Jonas is given a special job. He is to become the one who bears the memories of the community. The history, the pain, the pleasure... everything. Once he knows the truth, it changes everything.


Apparently this is a book that many people read in junior high. I had never heard of it until recently when I found it in my goodreads recommendations. It sounded interesting, so I decided to pick it up. I'm really glad I did! Although it is a children/teen book, it lends itself well to readers of any age. It is a dystopian sort of novel, but not in the same way as, say, The Hunger Games or Divergent. It's not an action novel, but more of a philosophical novel, provoking deep and interesting reflections on life, choice, and love. Original, well written, and well paced, I thoroughly enjoyed The Giver.


I highly recommend this novel!



My Rating: A

Labels: , , ,